Ditch the filters: 9 benefits of centrifugal separators
9 reasons why you should consider centrifugal separators.DATE 2022-10-24
Cutting fluids get contaminated over time. While filters or replacing cutting fluids is an option many companies take, there are other opportunities that are cost-effective and efficient.
One way to clean your cutting fluids is through the use of high-speed centrifugal separators, which use centrifugal force to separate oil and solid contaminants from cutting fluids. Particles present in the cutting fluid are pressed against the walls of the separator by centrifugal force and then discharged manually or automatically to a sludge tank.
The centrifugal force will also cause unwanted oil to separate from the cutting fluid. The cutting fluid is sent back into the machining or metalworking process, while the unwanted oil is continuously discharged.
And the best part—you can extend the lifetime of the cutting fluid, increase the quality of your end products and improve the working conditions for your employees.
Not convinced centrifugal separators are right for your operations?
Here are 9 reasons why you should consider centrifugal separators:
- Centrifugation results in an extremely effective separation of both liquid and solid contaminants, which means you can safely use your cutting liquid two to six times longer than with simpler cleaning mechanisms.
- Cleaner cutting fluid increases precision and extends the life of your equipment, so you can boost productivity. You’ll also save money, since you don’t have to replace tools, filters, valves and pumps as often.
- When you use the same cutting fluid for a longer period of time, your costs for buying new and disposing of old cutting fluid decrease considerably.
- Changing cutting fluids less frequently also diminishes your environmental impact: the creation of new cutting fluid, the destruction of old cutting fluid and transportation all negatively affect the environment.
- Centrifugal separators can manage difficult conditions such as large cleaning volumes and a temporary high influx of oil.
- When used, cutting fluid contaminants create a mist that can be inhaled or come into contact with skin, which is hazardous for employees if the cutting fluid contains fungi or bacteria. Cleaning your cutting fluid effectively can greatly improve the working conditions of your staff.
- To avoid the growth of bacteria and fungi, some suppliers add toxins to their cutting fluids, which can have a negative impact on both the environment and your employee's health. The best way to avoid bacteria and fungi is to use centrifugal separators.
- The operational cost of centrifugal separators is very low, as is the service cost. While you’ll need to make an initial investment, the total cost of ownership (TCO) is low.
- A centrifugal separator provides superior cleaning quality to other ways of cleaning fluids, like coalescers and filters, and will perform for decades if you take care of it properly (by reading the manual and using genuine parts and the right tools). At Alfa Laval, we offer service kits with spare parts and a comprehensive package of detailed service instructions to help keep your centrifugal separator running longer.
Our Alfa Laval centrifugal separators are based on proven technology, with a reputation for reliability in industries such as general manufacturing, food, pharma, chemical, oil and wastewater treatment. And our extensive know-how in the field of separation technology means you can rely on us to avoid problems, boost productivity and save money.
Contact Alfa Laval today, and we’ll set you up with an expert who can help you choose the right solution for your needs.
Talk to Our Experts
Nils Johansson, North America
+1 804 236 3110
Joshua Kowalchuk, AB, SK, MB,
+1 587 643 5505
Derek Gluschenko, BC, Marine Separators, Service
+1 604 734 2225
Pierre Gosselin, QC, service d'équipement de séparation
+1 450 466 1120
Écrire à Pierre