Recondition my Spiral heat exchanger
A periodic inspection of spiral heat exchangers (every three to five years based on the application) ensures ensures your spiral heat exchanger continues to perform as designed and that the energy losses are minimized over the lifetime of your heat exchanger.
Spiral Heat Exchanger - Chemical and Mechanical Cleaning Process
The steps are:
- Inspecting the unit for leaks, internal leaks (cross contamination),
- Chemical or heat exchanger mechanical cleaning
- Attaching new gaskets. A final hydro testing to the design pressure and making sure the bolt positions are according to the unit's manual.
Ten Top Tips to Keep your Spiral Heat Exchanger in Tip Top Condition
- Never open a unit if one or both channels are pressurized. Any attempt to do so may cause personal injury and/or damage the unit and its surroundings.
- Ensure that key operating conditions (temperatures and flow rates) match the original specifications.
- Lift the unit by its lifting lugs and not by the connections or the cover lug.
- During transportation or prolonged periods of shutdown, cover gaskets and/or hook bolts may loosen, so please tighten in a diagonally opposite sequence.
- Make sure all residual air has been removed from the unit before start up.
- Open and close valves slowly to avoid water hammer from pressure surges during start-up and shutdown.
- For fluids which contain solid particles, always operate in accordance with the design rate to avoid thickening or clogging.
- Use Cleaning-In-Place (CIP) or back flushing to avoid the need to open the heat exchanger for cleaning.
- Cover gasket must be changed after each opening, so keep a spare gasket on site.
- In case of shut down either for a long period, using corrosive fluid or threat of a freezing risk, flush and/or drain the heat exchanger.
Operation of a Spiral Heat Exchanger
Contact Service and Parts
Toll free: +1 888 253 2226 (888-ALFACAN)
Service and Parts: email@example.com
Equipment Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
24/7 and Field Service
+1 888 253 2226
Alfa Laval Subject Expert: Gina Smith
Field Services Coordinator Ext. 343
Email us a Field Service Question
Service Centre (Eastern Canada)
Phone: +1 416 299-6101
Fax: +1 416 297-8690
101 Milner Avenue
M1S 4S6, Canada
Service Centre (Western Canada)
Phone: +1 780 413-6349
Fax: +1 780 450-6747
6344 Roper Road
Edmonton, AlbertaT6B 3P9, Canada